Saturday, January 26, 2013

Huevos rancheros - A Mexican breakfast dish

Huevos rancheros, the name has a nice ring to it. The name might be difficult to say but the dish sure is easy to make. I consider this as one of my "semi-home made" dishes cos I buy all the ingredients in cans! All we have to do is open the cans and assemble it. This dish is a popular Mexican breakfast dish served with an fried egg, salsa and guacamole over a  crisp tortilla. Its like an open sandwich.




Its an easy and fun dish when you are not in the mood to cook, its kinda like a taco night. I substituted guacamole with salsa verde, I know, I know Mexican dish with an Italian sauce. Its my twist !(Nay, i ran out of avacados, so I grabbed the other canned sauce i had in my pantry :D ) You can use Mexican salsa verde it gives you that extra bite. I love salsa and chips,i used to make it fresh salsa every time. Even after coming to to US I never tried store bought salsa. One day I was so not in the mood to make it,so I grabbed  a can of store bought salsa and I fell in love with it. Now I always have it stocked in my fridge. I also used chipotle flavored re fried beans for some extra spice.



This is just assembly so I am writing the recipe for 1 serving.

Huevos rancheros 

Store bought soft Tortilla
Store bought tomato salsa
Store bought salsa verde
Store bought refried beans
Avacados fresh sliced or you can use store bought guacamole also
Water - 2 tspn
Eggs
Oil
Salt
Pepper

Method:
Heat pan and place the tortilla on the pan and crisp it, once the heat draws out all the moisture, the tortilla becomes crisp. You can do the same in the oven also. Heat your oven to 300 f place the tortilla on a sheet pan and put it in the oven for 5-6 minutes until it is crispy.Remove and place aside.
Add 2 tspn of water to the pan and mix the refried beans and heat it through, add salt if needed.
In another pan add oil and once the oil is hot add an egg, salt and pepper. Fry it for 2 minutes on each side, or until the whites are cooked and yolk is runny.

Assembly
Place the crispy tortilla on the serving platter,spread the refried beans on it,then a layer of tomato salsa, place the egg on top add the salsa verde, and guacamole and you are ready to crunch away.







2 comments: