Thursday, January 24, 2013

Stir fried Soya chunks with Indian spices

This dish is my version of my mom's fried soya. My father insisted on having this every other day cos he wanted more protein in his diet. To be honest, I was not a huge fan when I was young, but when I came up with my own recipe I liked it and I realized that, I wanted it to be more spicy than what my mom did. And after marriage when I did this for my husband, being a fitness junkie he was hooked.So this recipe is a regular one in our diet.

Soya are filled with protein and a little goes a long way.They fill u up and you will not be hungry for a long time.You can find this dried soya chunks in all the Indian stores,but I don't know about other groceries cos I have never purchased them any where else. The ones I use in the recipe is a dried soya chunk. It has to be soaked in water for 30 - 45 minutes orin hot water until they are soft. Squeeze the excess water and it is ready for use.You can find these soya chunks commonly in biriyani's and they are also referred to as meal maker in India.



This recipe is quick and easy with a few Indian spices. The soft soya absorbs all the wonderful spices and they are delicious and full of protein, plus they are a great diet food and a great healthy snack with your tea or when he have our afternoon cravings these are a great snack to nibble on.




You can make this recipe your own by adding what ever you like in this, like bell pepper, may be brocolli, and even scrambled eggs be creative and have fun....

Stir fried Soya chunks with Indian spices  Serves 4

Ingredients
Soya chunks - 2 cups (soaked and squeezed)
Onion  medium chopped - 1 and also for garnish
Tomato medium chopped - 1
Tomato paste - 11/2 tspn (recommended) or tomato ketchup - 3 - 4 tspn
Cumin powder - 1/2 tspn
Chilly powder - 1/4 tspn
Coriander powder - 1/2tspn
Garam Masala - 1/2 tspn
Pepper powder - 1/4 tspn
Salt to taste
Water 2 tspn optional
Bell pepper chopped for garnish

Tip:

  • Once the soya absorbs water it might double in size, so you can cut the soya in to halves so that it coated with the spices and you are not left with a mushy flavor less center.
  • If you are a spice person you can increase or decrease the amount of spices according to ur liking.
  • You can use tomato ketchup if you do not have tomato paste, if using ketchup use 3 or 4 tspn of ketchup.Use ketchup accordingly cos they are not concentrated as tomato paste, so might have to use more of ketchup.

Method:
In a hot pan add oil and onion and cook until translucent.
Add tomato, tomato paste, pepper and all the spices fry for 2 mins and cover the pan with a lid for 5 mins or until the tomatoes are tender.
Smash the tomatoes and let it combine with all the spices.
Add the soya chunks add salt and combine well, until all the soya is covered well with the spice mixture.
Fry the mixture for 2 minutes. If the soya appears to be dry add the 2 tspn of water and cover with a lid for 1 minute and toss it around for a few minutes so that spices are all toasty forma a coating.
Garnish with chopped onions and bell pepper and you have a healthy snack.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us. Yesterday, I was looking for a stir fry sauce recipe that I can prepare for our dinner today. I think I want to try this one because it is looking delicious. Keep sharing awesome recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idea was great... just tried now but with slight changes. Added all the spices on to the soya chunks which were soaked n squeezed. Cooked tomato slices on the stove with little oil n then added a bit of chicken masala powder. Finally added the soya chunks. Raosted it for sometime n viola... looks same like yours n was a tasty evening snack with hot black tea...

    ReplyDelete