Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spicy Indian onion puff

At last I found puff pastry in Grand Rapids! I have been looking for puff pastry all over the town and I began to wonder whether they sell puff pastry in Gd Rapids.I started asking all my friends and they too had the same doubt, but at last we found it. I have been craving for this spicy onion puff for a long time now.This is one of my absolute favorite.This is a recipe I have replicated from Ragam bakery in India. This puff is so good that I can never stop with one. When ever My dad buys this puff, he gets one extra for me, its soooo yummy.
 This recipe brings back lots of memories, chit chatting with my mom with this hot and spicy snack along with tea and my dad would constantly ask us to be quiet cos he would be watching tv. When I was young I was under the impression that puffs can't be made at home, cos we always used to get it from the bakery but I was amazed when my sister once did fresh puff pastry at home when I din even know what puff pastry was and that was one puff which I will not forget. It took a long time to make the pastry and all I could remember is going by and standing at the kitchen counter seeing her roll her pastry over and over and refrigerate it. I was so impatient din know what she was doing at that time.But at last it was all worth it. She had made vegetable puff and it was so good and that moment has stayed with me till now. The other puff memory is from this bakery. Even though I am familiar with puff pastry I have never attempted it, cos, I don want to go through that when I get ready made pastry which is just yummy.
This is also one of my friend's absolute favorite,I know she craves for it.When ever she goes to India this is the first thing she eats, yes this puff is so good.So this recipe is for my friend, hope u enjoy this Sowmi, like I enjoyed it.
Sorry I was in such a hurry that I couldn't get a decent picture of it.It was after I took a bite I remembered that I need a picture for this post !



Spicy Onion Puff  Makes 6 medium puffs

Ingredients:
Readymade puff pastry,thawed - 1 sheet
Red onion, sliced - 2 medium
Green peas pre cooked (or) frozen - 3 tbs
Potato,cut into small chunks and boiled - 3 tbs
Garam masala - 1 1/2 tspn
Ground cumin - 1/2 tspn
Red chilly powder - 1/4 tspn
Oil - 2 tbsp
Water - 1 tbsp (optional)
Milk - 2 tbsp for glazing (or) beaten egg - 2 tbsp (optional)
Salt to taste

Method:
Thaw the puff pastry according to the instructions.
Heat oil in pan and add the onion, put the flame in low, add a pinch of salt so that the onions does not burn. Cover and cook it for 10 mins in low heat.
Add the Garam masala,red chili powder and cumin powder mix well and close and cook for another 10 minutes.(The color of the mixture will turn deep dark brown, don worry that's how it is supposed to look).
Cook the onions until the spices are cooked and the onions have caramelized and very very soft.(At this stage,you can add a tablespoon of water, if the mixture is too dry or if the onion starts to burn).
Add the cooked peas,potato and salt and  stir around, do not mash the potato.
Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.The mixture should not have any water content.Cook until the mixture does not have any excess moisture content (i.e.) if you have  added 1 tbsp of water.
Put flour on a work space or on a dry plate,divide the pastry into 2 equal halves.
Roll out both sheets lightly.
Place the one half of the pastry with the length of the pastry facing you, and place the mixture on one end of the pastry and close the other end over and pinch the ends lightly,so it does not open up when cooking.
Glace with milk or beaten egg .Repeat the same with the other half of the pastry.
Place both the filled pastry on a sheet pan / place and place in the freezer for 10 minutes so that it will firm and will be easy for us to cut.
Pre heat the oven to 400 f
Take out the pastry and with a dry knife cut into equal squares or how ever you want it to be, any length and shape.
Put it on the baking tray and bake for 15-17 minutes or golden brown on top.

Enjoy it as much as we did!





No comments:

Post a Comment