Monday, June 10, 2013

Kimchi fried rice

Homemade fried rice is absolutely one of my favorite and if u are you too will love this kimchi fried rice.For those who are not familiar with kimchi, it is a Korean pickled cabbage and it is a staple in Korean cuisine.It taste sour, you might not be a fan on the first look or first bite either,but if you are a sour tooth person you will become a fan for sure. It is colorful, crunchy and sour cabbage that's all it is. I have previously made cucumber stir fry with kimchi. You can check out the recipe here cucumber stir fry with kimchi. I have been wanting to share this recipe for a long time and at last I am..

It is such a simple and a good twist on the usual fried rice we used to have. This recipe works well on left over rice too. I usually add onion and eggs and sometimes also add corn. I do not other veggies like carrot or green beans cos I want to stay true to the kimchi flavor and do not want any ingredient to over power the kimchi. The kimchi will be subtle yet you will know it is not your usual fried rice on your first bite.

I was able to get only one shot of the fried rice with my phone, the shot is not what I would prefer to post but I am left with no other. so here it is..

Just found some old photos I clicked when I cooked this fried rice.. so feast your eyes..






Kimchi fried rice Serves 4 - 5

Ingredients
Uncooked rice - 2 cups + water to cook rice.
Store bought Kimchi, chopped - 14 oz bottle
Garlic, chopped small - 5 heads
Red onion, sliced - 1
Eggs, beaten - 2
Frozen / fresh corn - 1/4 - 1/2 cup (optional)
Pepper - 3 tbs or less
Soy sauce - 1 tbsp (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tbsp

Method:
Cook the rice as you usually do. 
Once the rice is cooked, cool the rice and fluff with a fork, do not let it become hard and into chunks.
Heat a deep bottomed pan with the oil and add the chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Add the garlic,corn,kimchi,soy sauce cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the rice, salt and pepper and toss around. Once combined make a well in the middle and add the beaten eggs and stir the eggs.
Once the eggs are almost cooked toss the rice along with the eggs and combine well until all the ingredients are combined well.
Taste for seasoning.
Serve hot or cold.

Note:
If you want to make it for 2 people just reduce the rice to one cup and kimchi to half the bottle, other ingredients can remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment